RETURN

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Jodi Arias found guilty of Murder in the First Degree (Part 2)



Jodi Arias has stated that, regarding her sentence for First Degree Murder, she wants to receive the ‘death penalty.’  I’m not sure if this is a sincere comment or a bit of post-conviction grand-standing.

I’ve written quite a bit on my opinions about capital punishment.  For the most part, I support ‘death’ for certain crimes, the more horrendous ones.  My problem with capital punishment is that it is often given indiscriminately, and that in many states (including Oregon) the jury decides.  I, personally, do not feel they are qualified to make that decision and should not be asked to do so.

If I had my way, which I don’t, I would leave the ultimate punishment for First Degree Murder in the hands of the convicted murderer.  In other words, the judge would sentence said individual to life in prison without chance of parole or death – the individual’s choice.  However, I would require that individual to spend at least one year in prison before they would be given the opportunity to make a choice.

I’ve never been incarcerated.  I’ve worked in a jail, and I have visited a few prisons.  I’ve talked to many prisoners and former prisoners.  Although limited, there are opportunities in prison for those who wish to pursue them.   You do not necessarily have to spend your time moldering away and cursing your fate.  If any prisoner is reading this, he or she will, of course, say:  ‘That’s easy for you to say (expletive deleted)!’  Nonetheless, I believe it to be true.  There are worse conditions.  Ask a prisoner doing ‘life’ if they would be willing to trade places with a quadriplegic.

On a somewhat lighter side, in my previous post, I used the maxim ‘hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’ – in reference to Jodi Arias.  And, after I had published the post, I began to wonder about the origin of that saying.  To me it sounded like something Mark Twain might say – so I looked it up.  The phrase was coined long before Mark Twain.

The exact quote is “Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.”  This was from a play by William Congreve (1670 – 1729) titled The Morning Bride (1697).  Congreve was an English playwright and poet, and a life-long friend of Jonathan Swift.

So, I guess the potential fury of women, as far back as the 17th century, was well known and documented.

True Nelson