RETURN

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lawyer Suicides Reach Epidemic Levels (Part 3 / Conclusion)

A reader commented regarding my previous post that “…all is well in the legal profession.”  Sometimes, it is hard to determine if a reader’s comment is genuine or laced with sarcasm.  Maybe, a little of both.

I don’t think that “all is well” in the legal profession based on my own professional experiences and the initial premise regarding the significant numbers of attorney suicides.  That said, I think the legal profession could be a mirror image of our society in general; duplicity coupled with a lack of principles.  Of course, not everyone falls within this framework; but many do.  None of us is perfect.  I am certainly not.  But, it seems, at times, that for too many the unconscionable is the norm – particularly when money is involved.  And, those many individuals only seem to recognize their transgressions when they are caught.  There are a lot of examples:  What’s in it for me?  Everyone does it?  Winning is everything?  What they don’t know won’t hurt them?

Lawyer’s seem to be the prime examples of ‘winning is everything,’ and the drive for ‘more money’ – ‘faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.’  Unfortunately, those same lawyers are smack in the middle of our judicial system; and, maybe even more importantly, our political system.  It concerns me.  It should concern all non-lawyers.  And, I think it concerns some of them – a few.

However, if we were looking for a poster child, or children, to represent the majority of those in our legal and political systems, we need look no further than John Edwards and Anthony Weiner.

I rest my case.


True Nelson