Return to My Blog

Friday, July 19, 2013

Comments from a Disgruntled NRA Member/ and note to Wayne LaPierre



When it gets to the point where you feel awkward acknowledging, in polite company, that you’re a member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), well, maybe it’s time said organization considered compromising on some of their more fringe positions.

I thought about dropping my membership.  Then, I hear some very vocal celebrity or politician advancing the most hair-brained ideas on gun control, and I send in my membership renewal.  Why does it seem that on almost every position:  abortion, gun control, racial issues, and politics in general, this country is becoming more and more divided?  Even my closest friends, I can’t seem to have a discussion about any of the above issues without someone getting hot under the collar – often times me.  I suppose that is why I cling to this blog – hoping there are others out there who might feel that I’m not necessarily some gun-toting, illiterate, red-neck.

I have more to say on these various societal issues, but the topic today is the NRA.  In the most recent issue of the NRA magazine they had an advertisement for a shotgun described as “Compact Shotgun, 12 GA, Twin 7-Shot Magazines,” and “Launch a full pound of lead without stopping to reload.”  (see picture above)

Now, the aforementioned weapon can only be used for one purpose and that is anti-personnel.  And with devastating killing power, I might add.  In case you have never seen a person shot at close range with a shotgun, it is a pretty gruesome affair.  A shotgun will remove your head or blow a hole through your chest that you could drop a bowling ball through.  Let me ask you, what sort of person will buy the advertised shotgun?  Oh, I suppose there are a few collectors out there that might purchase the shotgun as a novelty item.  But, for the most part, the people interested in said weapon are not the sort of neighbor that you would willing live next door to, at least I wouldn’t.

Doesn’t it seem that the NRA, in view of the recent shootings and strident public debate, would use just a modicum of discretion as far as who buys ads in their magazine?  It’s embarrassing to me.  Now, some of my more gun-friendly associates might say:  ‘True, just lighten up.’  Well, that’s kind of hard to do when some nut might use the gun to clear a theater or classroom.

OK, on the lighter side, didn’t our intellectually challenged Vice President, Joe Biden, state that he told his wife that a shotgun would be very suitable in deterring an intruder, and that she could just fire through the door if necessary.  Perhaps, this is exactly the gun that his wife would be looking for.  And, yes, it would work as deterrence – even if there was a Bengal Tiger at the door.

Note to Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President:  Mr. LaPierre, how about giving some of your more moderate members just a little wiggle room when it comes to defending their continued membership?  The ad depicted above is repulsive and indefensible.


True Nelson