Return to My Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Kyron Horman / Desiree Young Drops Civil Suit Against Terri Horman


You have to admit, I hit it pretty close with my post of July 25th.  Today’s Oregonian, Maxine Bernstein’s front page article:  “Kyron’s mom drops civil suit.”

I suppose I was a little melodramatic in describing law enforcement's potential comments.  Their remarks were brief.  The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office issued a succinct statement advising that the Kyron case remains a “high priority;” which in law enforcement jargon means next to nothing.

Desiree Young made comments regretting the decision to discontinue her civil suit against Terri Horman – stating that she did so in the best interest of the criminal investigation.  I don’t believe this is entirely true.  I will be criticized for being less than sympathetic to Desiree, but I don’t believe she was prepared to undergo the ‘take no prisoners’ deposition at the hands of Terri’s attorneys.

Kyron’s disappearance is a tragedy that has impacted many of us.  Not to the extent of Kyron’s immediate family - agreed; but tragic and disconcerting nonetheless to all of us.  A young child disappears from a public school and is missing without a trace; and no one is apparently responsible, not the school, not the parents, no one.  This just doesn’t go down easy with most parents and grandparents.  OK, this is a bit unkind, but we must finally acknowledge that Kyron resided within what has to be considered a dysfunctional family.  Am I wrong?  Maybe I am.  Perhaps, the Hormans and the Youngs are the new normal.  That is not to say, however, that Desiree suffers less than another mother might, nor does Kane suffer less than another father might.  Well, I’ve said enough.  I will be getting some blow-back from some of my readers for my lack of sensitivity.

And what about Terri Horman?  Talk about a living hell – relegated to virtual incarceration at her parents’ residence in Roseburg – day after day with no end in sight; more than three years without being able to hold her young daughter.  She would have visiting privileges with her daughter if she (Terri) was serving time in prison.  Am I showing sympathy for Terri?  I’m not sure.  Yes, maybe I am.  If there is an outside chance that Terri is entirely innocent – which I personally doubt – her current and future existence is dismal regardless of whether or not she is ever prosecuted.

Regarding the Oregonian article dated 7/31/13:

Desiree Young's comment:  “Terri, I cannot tolerate the continued silence, and I will not stop, I will not stop.”

True’s comment:  What does that mean?  Threat?  Hyperbole?  Dramatic effect?

“Rosenthal (Desiree’s attorney) declined to comment when asked if he could have foreseen being unable to get the criminal investigation file when he filed the civil suit amid an ongoing criminal inquiry.”

True’s comment:  Of course he knew.  Any attorney would know.  His civil suit would have to be based on investigation and depositions conducted by Rosenthal and his staff – and he knew that.  He would not have expected law enforcement to turn over files.  In that he and Desiree failed to push forward indicates to me that they were afraid to reveal information about Desiree or possible misconduct on the part of the Sheriff’s Office.  The decision to abort the civil case was not made yesterday, or last week.  It was made weeks or months back – probably about the time when Desiree’s attorney concurred with the decision to postpone the civil case until August.

The ‘restraining order’ against Terri Horman, which has prevented any contact with Kaine or the couple’s daughter, is reportedly being removed.  The divorce will proceed, but Kane will attempt to keep Terri away from their daughter.  I think those efforts will fail, and Terri will be given visitation rights.

Folks, I don’t know what to say.  The Kyron disappearance may be solved one day.  But, it could be years from now.  For now, the most interesting part of this case will be following the lives of the main players:  Desiree, Kaine and Terri.  What will they do?  What will they become?  They are each famous in their own way – unenviable celebrities so to speak.

True Nelson