Return to My Blog

Friday, September 9, 2016

Presidential Election 2016 / O + M + G / Observations and Comments (Part one – Gary Johnson, Libertarian Candidate)


Oh my God, as a Nation, what have we become?  This is an election like no other in my lifetime.  Hard lines have been drawn.  No one really wants to discuss political issues, and rightfully so.  ‘Issues,’ what’s that?  Issues are apparently not particularly relevant, when you have candidates like Hillary and Donald.  It’s about candidate dislike, even hate.  It is about name calling.

The previous widely circulated recommendation to potential voters was ‘vote for the candidate you dislike the least, but vote.’  Now, the advice seems to be ‘vote against the candidate you hate the most, or butt out.’  There is no nice alternative I’m sorry to say.  I’m leaning toward the ‘Butt-out’ option.

There is, of course, Hillary Clinton (the pathological liar married to the convicted and disbarred liar) vs. Donald Trump (the egomaniac).  Choose your poison.  As an aside, perhaps an alternative position, might be Gary Johnson (I thought about this), Libertarian or Jill Stein (don't think so), Green Party; but really, why bother.

Nonetheless, I will be offering you some observations / advice as the election season progresses.  I’ll try to keep it succinct.  This will be the first of a series of very astute (and then again maybe not) political observations – many of which you’ve tried to block out of your mind.  I realize reading my comments might be tough on you, but it gives me an outlet.  I need some help with this.  Readers’ comments or counter arguments are always appreciated – at least those that are not immediately deleted.

First up is Gary Johnson.  Have you read the Libertarian platform?  You probably should before you cast your vote.  Some things I like.  Some I don’t.  However, I don’t plan to drone-on about that at the moment.  Let’s talk about Aleppo.  Say what?

Gary Johnson was thrown a floating-curveball (a question) by one of the co-hosts on the ‘Morning Joe’ program on MSNBC.  Does anyone watch MSNBC?  I’m serious does anyone?  Anyway, Gary whiffed the ball.

As a result of said question, there arose an embarrassing situation for Gary Johnson and it is getting a lot of press coverage.  The pitcher (questioner) was Mike Barnicle.  Personally, I think the question was a bit obscure; but Gary managed to make the worst of it.

Question to Johnson:  “If you were elected what would you do about Aleppo?”  Now, when you really think about it, this was kind of stupid question – at least in my opinion.  A question to which no one, and I mean no one, including our current President, would have a coherent answer.”

But, Johnson, to his discredit (I suppose) really blew it when he said:  “And what is Aleppo?”  Yes, he was serious – oh boy – and the look on his face.  If he had missed the general meaning, or didn’t know that Aleppo is a war-torn city in Syria, he should have just said:  ‘I’m not sure what you are referring to.  Could you rephrase the question?’  But, he didn’t and it was pretty dog-gone embarrassing.

Is this a big deal?  No, not really.  However, if you are a Johnson supporter, brace yourself; you will automatically be ridiculed on the basis that your chosen candidate doesn’t even know where Aleppo is, or has the slightest idea what is going on in Syria.  Although, let’s be honest.  Most people, up to now, didn’t know who, what or where is an Aleppo – and still don’t.

Good news though – more of the public, including Johnson, now know where Aleppo is.  If you don’t know, look it up - so that someone doesn’t pull a ‘Johnson’ on you.



True Nelson