RETURN

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

MY LIFE – I’ve experienced a life changing event.



In the future, maybe more than in my past blog posts, I plan to write about some of my life experiences, people I know and have known, events of note, and general experiences I’ve had thus far.  Recently, I had one of those block-buster events that I must say knocked me back, and that’s an understatement.  It caused me to reevaluate my priorities.  Take a closer look at the meaning of life, and what’s important.

It came on rather suddenly.  I was diagnosed with an aneurysm which was serious enough that I was routed immediately to the emergency room of a major hospital.  As any doctor would tell you, if your aorta ruptures, it’s pretty much ‘lights out.’  Kind of funny now, but my initial emotion was anger – anger at no one in particular I guess, except perhaps myself.

I’m in my early 70s, but I lived a fairly healthy life.  I don’t drink or smoke.  I’m generally careful about what I eat.  I was not what you might consider overweight.  I exercise and belong to a gym.  It’s silly to think that way, but my initial impression was ‘this just isn’t fair.’  Of course, I’m fully aware that one of the basic tenets of life is that life is never fair.  Stupid of me to even think otherwise – even as a passing thought.  Look around your local community.  Look around the world.  That I had such a thought, even momentarily, now embarrasses me.

Eight days in the hospital – replaced a portion of my aorta, a new heart valve, and one bypass.  It’s been nearly eight weeks post-surgery.  Recovery, at times, has been a bumpy road.  I’ve lost quite a bit of weight.  I now weigh what I did in high school; but look, of course, much worse than I did in high school.  I now resemble a plucked, anorexic chicken.  I won’t be prancing around the beach in my Speedo any time soon.  (Actually I don’t have a Speedo, and haven’t had one since the HS swimming team.  And my friends would surely opine ‘thank god for that.’)

I’m in a cardiac rehab program and making progress.  The Doc said I could try golf again after three months.  I’m a little worried about my golf game.  But, friends have assured me not to worry, that my golf game never amounted to much anyway.  It’s great to have friends willing to offer support when you’re really feeling down.

I’m going to write more about my life and how it has evolved.  It’s been quite a ride.  Some of you might enjoy reading this.  Well, maybe not, but I plan to write about it anyway.  It’s part of my therapy.





True Nelson