RETURN

Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Confederate Battle Flag / Mass Murder, Mother of Emanuel Church, Charleston, SC / My Thoughts (Part 2)




Regarding my previous post on this subject, my opinion remains basically unchanged.

However, after hearing the recent speech by Governor Nikki Haley which was compelling, I do have one clarification to make.  I was not aware that the Confederate Flag is flown over the Capitol of South Carolina.

Governor Haley, in a very conciliatory manner to all those for and against the flag, stated that the flag would no longer be flown over the Capitol.  I agree with her statement and the reasons she provided.

My earlier comments, perhaps not entirely clear, were partially directed at the hip-shooters like Walmart and Amazon who immediately said they would discontinue the sale of the flag – which, of course, caused a huge bonanza of flag sales; and was a decision undoubtedly based on efforts to generate publicity for their respective companies.

However, my main objection was directed at New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, who I referred to as a doofus (still hold that opinion), for his suggestion that the City tear down the statue of Robert E. Lee.  Mayor Landrieu must have felt the tragedy in Charleston was a perfect opportunity to get some much needed press time.

Well, that’s Louisiana’s problem.  So, I’ll leave it at that.



True Nelson

No comments: