RETURN

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

True's Miscellany / August 2015 / Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton & Cecil the Lion



I think I might have writers’ block.  I know it’s presumptuous to say that.  I ain’t no for real writer.  Yes, I know I even stole that thought from Joe Buck (Midnight Cowboy) – cleverer his:  “I ain’t no for real cowboy.”

It’s not that I don’t have things that I think about.  Like what, you might inquire?  Well…

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton leading in the poles of their respective political parties – God help us.

The brutal rape and murder of a California woman, Marilyn Pharis, by illegal immigrants; Victor Aureliano Martinez and Jose Fernando Villagomez:  sanctuary cities, political correctness gone crazy, stupid and thoughtless politicians and law enforcement personnel – disgusting, horrific, unconscionable, preventable.  And who will take responsibility?  No one.

Ferguson, Missouri:  What more can be said?  Hopeless.

Nuclear treaty with the Iranians (whoops not a treaty), agreement, I guess.  Does anyone believe the Iranians will honor the agreement?  Are we that stupid?  Well, not us – just the people who represent us.

National debt in excess of 18 trillion, getting bigger all the time.  Who will pay this back?  Our children and grandchildren.  Moreover, what fools are actually loaning the United States money to squander on all the things this country really doesn’t need.

Cecil the Lion.  I don’t know why anyone would want to be a ‘trophy’ hunter.  Is this due to perceived sexual inadequacy?  Well, heck, that same motivation is undoubtedly in play with many of our politicians and CEOs (Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump).

No, that was not Joe Buck’s problem.  "I am one helluva stud."

What else?  Let’s see.  I was sitting on the patio last evening.  It was nearing eight o’clock.  The honey bees were still working among some purple flowers.  I was wondering when they were allowed to go home.  Where is home?  How far is it?  And what do they do when they get there.  More importantly, are our concerns more important than the honey bee?  Doubtful.  His (or I should say more precisely her) life is fairly basic.  You work, you eat, you socialize and you die.  Are we so different?

Shakespeare, the genius; his plays have lost some relevance over the years (1564 to 1616).  Did you know that he was reportedly 6’4” (although disputable)?  He must have been one tall dude, and what was he fed as a child?  The average male was approximately 5'5".

Watching a Shakespeare play is kind of like watching paint dry, but noisier.  Sorry, just my opinion.  There is, nonetheless, a certain snob appeal.  Yes, I’ve actually seen a couple of his plays.  He is, however, eternally quotable.  One of my favorites – the only quote of his that I bothered to memorize.  On the meaning of life:

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.       
Macbeth


True Nelson

No comments: