RETURN

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Alek Skarlatos, Spencer Stone, Anthony Sadler / You Make Us Proud / Conclusion (3 parts)



Now that I have offended much of the French populace, I might add that they shouldn’t really concern themselves with my personal opinion because many Americans wish we were just like the French.  And, quite a few of our political leaders are moving us, gradually you understand, in that direction.  Soon we too will have mercenaries fighting our battles.  It’s really cheaper in the long run and many Americans can’t be bothered with the mundaneness of self-reliance and self-protection – certainly not any dangerous military service.

Oh, what about the U.S. Second Amendment to the Constitution?  No problem there.  Our Supreme Court can just fine tune it a little, reinterpret what it means; and, that’s that, it can be placed on a dusty book shelf.

Let’s see… My Second Theory regarding the courageous actions of Stone, Skarlatos and Sadler:  Well, it has to do with their familiarity with guns.

Guns are after all inanimate, mechanical objects or basically tools.  My contention is that the more you know about a tool, even a dangerous tool, the more comfortable you become using it – being around it.

Example:  You are in a public place, suddenly accosted by an obviously distraught, possibly deranged person waving a chainsaw around and endangering people, even children.  The chainsaw is loud and scary.  What type of individual, excepting an armed police officer, would be the most likely to intervene and attempt to neutralize this dangerous person?  I would think it would be someone who was familiar with chainsaws, perhaps even utilized a chainsaw on a daily basis.  Why?  Because that individual understands that chainsaws can be dangerous, but that they do have limitations.  He would look for that brief moment of weakness, either on the part of the person operating the chainsaw or the chainsaw itself.  He would not, in other words, be frozen in a state of inaction; or feel his only option is to run.

What does that have to do with the incident on the train?  Perhaps that particular incident, and their particular reaction, had something to do with Skarlatos, Stone and Sadler’s familiarity with guns.  Both Skarlatos and Stone were known to have some military training.  But I would also venture that Skarlatos, Stone and Sadler had some previous experience with guns as hunters, target shooters, etc.

I’ve been around people who were frightened to even touch a gun, for fear they would inadvertently do something in handling a gun that would cause it to harm them or someone else – as if the gun was alive and had a mind of its own – much like one might treat a poisonous snake.

The French have very strict gun control laws governing ownership and use.  Gun ownership and use is not part of their culture or their traditions.

Perhaps I’m wrong about the three Americans.  I suppose we’d have to ask them.  I’d like to know how experienced Stone, Skarlatos and Sadler are with guns.  Do they own guns?  Did they grow up with guns?

I did and many of my friends did.  Would any of us have the courage to confront a terrorist?  I don’t know.


I’ve had considerable training and experience with weapons (guns), particularly in the FBI.  One thing that I believe I would quickly recognize is how proficient is this person with his weapon, as well as what are the limitations of this particular weapon.  Those observations would be my deciding factors as to how best to react.

True Nelson

No comments: