RETURN

Monday, January 30, 2017

Sanctuary Cities, Portland, Oregon / Mayor Ted Wheeler / Is he ignorant or just kind of a nut?


I’d like to weigh-in on ‘sanctuary’ cities; and in support of President Trump’s current proclamations - which I understand are just temporary until the federal government can get a handle on what exactly is going on.

The associated impact of Sanctuary Cities is, without doubt, a law enforcement issue; and I believe most in the law enforcement community would agree.  Maybe, I will talk more about this down the road and how politicians attempt to spin their unlawful actions in support of ‘sanctuary cities.’

But, for now, specifically, I’d like to talk about my home city, Portland, Oregon.  They have ‘proudly’ proclaimed themselves a 'sanctuary city' – commonsense be damned.

I particularly got a good laugh out of the ‘In my opinion’ article in the Oregonian (1/29/17) by our newly elected Mayor, Ted Wheeler.  As justification for his position on keeping Portland a sanctuary city, he utilized the famous quote displayed on the Statue of Liberty:  “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.  Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

My suggestion is that Mayor Wheeler dig-out his underutilized college dictionary and look up the word ‘irony.’

And, then he should look out his window at the “homeless,” the “tired,” the “poor,’ the “huddled masses,” “the wretched refuse,” that currently try to survive the cold, hardships, and dangers associated with downtown Portland streets.  They are on every block of the city.  It’s a disgrace.

My question would be:  Is Mayor Wheeler just plain stupid or is he a nut?  Probably not stupid and he has many degrees to prove it.  He is, of course, playing his cards as a politician attempting to placate his base.  Everyone should recognize that politicians have one priority and it is what’s best for them.

Wheeler is a new mayor, but he knows how the game is played – albeit clumsily in this instance.  Sorry to say, he doesn’t understand how absolutely ridiculous he can sound.  That seems to be a pretty common affliction with politicians these days.


True Nelson

No comments: