RETURN

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

‘Race Relations,’ and My Life of ‘White Privilege’... Part 1


Yes, everyone has their ‘two cents’ about current events.  And, I’m aware that no one is particularly interested in my observations on racial inequities.  Many might say that I have never experienced extreme racial bigotry and discrimination.  Therefore, I should just butt-out.  However, this is my blog, and the following comments reflect my thoughts – a diary of sorts.  I suppose, regarding the recent news coverage and commentary, I tend to take offense that being White is, by default, conditional racism – but I will be exploring this at more length.  Maybe, I’m wrong.  Some more personal aspects of my life I will reveal.  Maybe, this process will help me to focus, even learn something of value. 

Yes, depending on how you define it, I was born into ‘White Privilege.’  I am a Caucasian and kind of fair skinned.  Although, I’m not actually sure who all classifies as White anymore.  Are we now divided between White and Black?  Does Black include Brown?  Does White include those of Asian ancestry?  If you’re mostly White, but partly Black, when do you cross over?  My DNA indicates some of my ancestors originated in Northern Africa.  Moreover, science tells us that all human origins can be traced back to Africa.  Does that have any relevance? 

Oh, you say, ‘The above is idiotic.’  It’s not about ‘color’ it’s about slavery.  No, actually it is about color.  "Black Lives Matter." 

Of course, black lives matter.  No one I know disputes that.  Regarding slavery, no one now living in the United States ever owned slaves or was a slave. 

Another stupid comment.  It’s about the ‘founding’ of the country.

Yes, it was a terrible time when slavery was permitted, but it is long since passed.  Hundreds of thousands of Union soldiers were crippled and died in a Civil War to free the slaves – and most of those who sacrificed were White.  Slavery was wrong.  It was horrible.  And, an incredible price in blood was paid. 

What you say is not relevant.  You're not relevant.  You don’t get it!  You’re just like the rest of them.

Is Thomas Sowell relevant?

“First of all, anyone familiar with the history of slavery around the world knows that its origins go back thousands of years and that slaves and slave owners were very often of the same race.  Those who are ignorant of all of this, or who think of slavery in the United States as if it were the only slavery, go ballistic when anyone tells them that this institution was not based on race.  Blacks were not enslaved because they were black, but because they were available at the time.  Whites enslaved other whites in Europe for centuries before the first black slave was brought to the Western Hemisphere.” 

“What was peculiar about the American Situation was not just that slaves and slave owners were of different races, but that slavery contradicted the whole philosophy of freedom on which the society was founded.  If all men were created equal, as the Declaration of Independence said, then blacks had to be depicted as less than men.” 

Thomas Sowell, THE THOMAS SOWELL READER.


All men and women are created equal.  OK, yes, we're still not perfect.  Can’t we work this out?  Haven’t sociologist told us that all of us, to a certain extent, have ‘tribal’ instincts that are probably part of evolution.  What does that mean?  Well, basically, people are more comfortable around others who look similar.  We all instinctively understand that.  However, that ingrained notion, that feeling, quickly dissipates when comfortable association is expected and respected, as in the military, or allowed as neighbors meet and socialize.  Most of us aren’t racists, not even close.  We just need that opportunity.

Well, I suppose you might respond that it’s about ingrained police racism, systemic, perhaps somewhat latent, but actual racism throughout the country, and that is the reason we burn and loot and destroy – and will continue to do so until the country as we know it is torn down and reformed. 

Let me just say that this discussion is seemingly going nowhere.  If we are unable to communicate, to compromise, we now must, each of us, go to our own corners – and wait for the final confrontation.  If we can’t talk.  If we can’t reason.  What is left?  The outcome, I will leave to everyone’s imagination. 

True Nelson

No comments: