RETURN

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Brittany Maynard / and the 'God' Issue



I wasn’t going to comment on this situation.  It is so intensely personal for her and her family.  I know most of you have already read much about this.  I’m referring to Brittany Maynard, the young woman, who on Saturday took her own life under Oregon’s Death with Dignity statute.  A recent resident of Portland, she and her husband had moved here from California so that she could have some control over her remaining days.  She had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and had only weeks to live.

Brittany, 29 years-old at the time of her medically supervised self-inflicted death, must have been an extremely brave and pragmatic person.  Some call it suicide.  Some call it a merciful end.  It appears that Brittany made her decision to relieve her own suffering, as well as the suffering of her immediate family.

That said, I’m writing because the ‘God’ issue has come up.

As reported in the news media:  “A senior Vatican official has condemned as wicked the assisted suicide of Brittany Maynard, an American woman suffering from terminal brain cancer.”  And per the official:  “… to commit suicide is not a good thing, it is a wicked thing because it is saying no both to one's own life and to everything which signifies respect for our mission in this world and towards those closest to us.”

In view of circumstances, this statement by the Vatican was, to me, offensive.  I’m not a Catholic.  I should acknowledge that fact.  I can best describe myself as an Agnostic.  And, I am not qualified to discuss religious doctrine.  However, it appears that God is the issue and the fanciful dictates of those who presumably are in the know.  Am I right?  And, is not the Vatican attempting to speak on behalf of God?

I know these two facts.  No one, including the Pope, knows if there is a God.  On the other hand, no one including our most learned scientists know that there is not a God.  No one.  Absolutely no one.  And, as a result, no one knows what constitutes sin in the eyes of a possible God or an improbable God – depending upon your perspective.

Mr. Senior Vatican Official, I wish you would have kept your comments to yourself.  Let this young woman rest in peace.  And, if you have some spare time on your hands, how about pontificating on ISIS?  Talk about wicked.


True Nelson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful what you read from the secular press. The good Monsignor, did not say "wicked," or "reprehensible." The secular press makes it sound like this assisted suicide was a big thing to the Vatican Taking your own life has been happening in Europe for years, and the Vatican is well aware. Anything skewed, to make the church look " wicked." Get your info.straight from the horses mouth. I have been amazed at the false words interjected in secular news. We all have our opinion, and the right to that opinion. This young woman chose to kill herself, under law. Euthanasia is becoming more popular, and is already being used in states that have not legalized it. I for one, do not believe in suicide, sick or healthy, I feel good about that, and I guess Brittany felt right about her decision.

True Nelson said...

If, in fact, the Church spokesperson was misquoted, I extend my apology to him. I know as well as anyone that the media cannot be trusted to give accurate information in every instance. And, if this is true what you say, then shame on whoever generated the news-story, which included the fabricated quotes. Yes, most of the news we receive is secular - as it should be. However, we also expect accuracy.

If you could advise me what the Church Spokesperson actually said, I would welcome the opportunity to read it. And, please identify your source.

True

Anonymous said...

I use several sites. One is www.ansa.it/english/news. Then go to menu, then Vatican. There is so much information and studies on assisted suicide, euthanasia, physician assisted suicide etc. in general publications. Some of the Netherland studies show disturbing outcomes, and abuse of free decision making on the part of patients. Of course they do practice euthanasia. The slippery slope could eventually turn " death with dignity," into something else, if not monitored closely. I like my peace of mind on the subject, and I am a nurse. Thanks, True.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: It is commendable that you, a nurse, are on the side of compassion for all. Thank you for your comments.

True