RETURN

Monday, June 13, 2016

Shooting (Massacre) in Orlando, Florida / When will this sleeping giant awaken?


I’m not sure what to say.  Anyway, no one particularly cares what I have to say.  But, I have some thoughts – mainly for posterity.  No, I’m not presumptuous enough to suggest that future generations would be interested in what I’m thinking at the moment; but some, very specific individuals, maybe my grandchildren or my great-grandchildren might.

The massacre in Orlando, Florida, this attack on innocents by a radical Islamist terrorist, should be the final wake-up call for Americans; but, somehow, I doubt it.  Our political leaders choose to diminish, soothe, manipulate, simply redefine the situation - placate the population.  They say:  'How about stricter gun laws?'  Yes, brilliant, I feel better and safer already.

Example:  Omar Mateen wasn’t a ‘for real’ member of ISIS.  He was simply a ‘home-grown’ terrorist (as Obama has indicated).  As if all Americans should share in the responsibility of what happened in Orlando.  ISIS laughs.  But… I for one don’t feel guilty.  I just feel ashamed of our national leadership.

Japanese Naval General Isoroku Yamamoto is credited with the following quote subsequent to the attack on Pearl Harbor (admittedly said quote has never been officially documented; but if he didn’t actually say it in those words – no doubt he probably thought it at the time - or subsequently).

“I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

America is, once again, the sleeping giant; perhaps comatose would be a better description.  When will we, our leaders, say that’s enough?  No more.  When will this giant awaken?

To be continued...



True Nelson

No comments: