RETURN

Saturday, August 12, 2023

JR-15, Operational Firearm, modeled after the AR-15... but made for children!

 

I don’t want to spend a lot of time on this subject, but it was mentioned to me by some friends.  I said I would check it out.  Initially, I thought this was a joke; but sadly it is not.


A company Wee 1 Tactics has developed a smaller version of the AR-15… a version designed for kids.  It is referred to in their advertisement as the JR-15.  It is 20% smaller than the original, weighs just 2.3lbs, a single shot, using .22LR ammunition.  Its cost is $400+ dollars retail.

The Forrest Gump quotation comes to mind… ‘Stupid is as stupid does.’  Not sure if this applies to the manufacturer or to any potential buyers (maybe both).  I am sure this manufacturer plans to make a lot of money.  And I am fairly sure there are a few fathers out there who feel this will be a wonderful gift for their son, or daughter.   Hopefully, there are mothers out there who will veto the idea.

The image of the JR-15 directly relates, and negatively so, to our times.  I am, of course, referring to school shootings committed by grade schoolers.  Are we not all aware that times have changed and not for the better?  School shootings, often involving a young person, are a national tragedy.  Are we not paying attention?

Yes, our young people (if they express interest) eventually need to be familiar with the safe handling of guns.  I did that with my own son and daughter.  But, I didn’t do it with a miniature AR-15 which is, and is marketed as, nothing more than a ‘toy.’  Albeit a potentially dangerous and deadly toy.

True Nelson

 

No comments: