RETURN

Friday, April 25, 2014

Legalized Marijuana / Good Idea? / Part 2


In the discussion of legalized marijuana, I want to set aside the medical uses.  I do think that the medical use of marijuana has some merit for certain conditions.  However, I think the whole process lacks proper controls; and is, as a result, out of control.  However, that’s not the topic of the day.

Regarding legalized marijuana for recreational use, I think it’s a bad idea.  I know many of you disagree.  I’m not going to influence, with my opinion, any of the stoners or potheads; or, for that matter, the government legislators ready to rake in additional tax money.  Nor do I feel that I could, under any circumstances, influence the pseudointellectuals who seem to feel that the time has come to legalize pot.

Nonetheless, I do hope that somehow I can touch a nerve with the many responsible parents and grandparents; and that they, in turn, will recognize that legalized marijuana, in its many forms, is not something society needs.

First, regarding the Levy Thamba Pongi situation, one might say that he was an adult and responsible for his own early death at age 19.  I, on the other hand, think that the person or persons (age 21) who purchased the marijuana-laced cookies and other paraphernalia for Pongi’s consumption should be prosecuted for criminal negligence.

More importantly and generally speaking, I believe that responsible adults ought to spend some time thinking about possible consequences.  We will, undoubtedly, be voting on the recreational use of marijuana in Oregon's near future.

If marijuana is legalized, young people and children will have access and consume marijuana products either on purpose, by accident, or furnished them under false pretenses.  Then what?  Are we not as parents and grandparents responsible for what happens to our children and grandchildren?  If not us, then who?  Law enforcement?  The school?

Don’t attempt to rationalize this, or intellectualize it.  It’s simple and it’s up to us.

Is it not true that (Biblical):  They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind.

or if you prefer...

Is it not true that (modernized version):  They that make bad decisions should expect to suffer the consequences.


True Nelson

No comments: