RETURN

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Paris Massacre / Charlie Hebdo Newspaper / Who are the heroes?



I feel compelled to comment on the recent massacre in Paris.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not here to defend ‘freedom of speech’ or ‘freedom of expression,’ which are, in my opinion, largely clichés; and freely thrown around, misused, by the news media (vested interest) and the uninformed.

Charlie Hebdo is a French, for profit, ‘satirical’ weekly newspaper.  The cartoons and articles criticize and lampoon everyone who is anyone of societal importance, including religious leaders; and one of their favorite targets is Mohammed and Muslims.  I looked at some of their cartoons.  Poor taste would be a considerable understatement.  And, one can easily understand why those who worship Mohammed would be offended.  This does not, in anyway, justify the barbaric attack and the murder of the magazine’s employees.  I would, however, imagine that much of what was displayed in Charlie Hebdo would not be condoned or allowed in the United States – at least I hope not.

Why did I first say that ‘freedom of speech’ or ‘freedom of expression’ does not really exist?  And, quite frankly, it shouldn’t.  Some Americans might have found the cartoons depicting Mohammed funny or innocuous, but I don’t.  What if we had a magazine that made obscene, demeaning fun of Jews or African Americans?  Wouldn’t most of us object?  I would.

Unfortunately, for most Americans, demeaning Christianity is basically OK.  As I’ve said before, I am agnostic, but I still find some of the awful acts debasing the Christian religion offensive.

 “Piss Christ,” once branded as a “deplorable, despicable display of vulgarity,” will be displayed at the Edward Tyler Nahem Gallery in Manhattan. The artwork features a “photograph of the crucifix submerged in the artist’s urine.”

This is art?  This is freedom of expression?  This is crap!  The ‘artist’ is an idiot.

However, getting back to my original point, I don’t think Charlie Hebdo publishers and writers, now deceased, should be considered heroes.  Sorry, I just don’t.

I do think that Ahmed Merabet, the French Police Officer who died trying to protect the employees of Charlie Hebdo is a hero.  He and the other two officers killed that day should be celebrated as the true heroes.

#JenesuispasCharlie ‘I am not Charlie’


#JesuisAhmed ‘I am Ahmed’


True Nelson

No comments: